Monday, March 28, 2011

Let's Worship God!



Psalm 95:6  Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the Lord our maker.

Psalm 22:29  All the prosperous of the earth shall eat and worship; All those who go down to the dust shall bow before him, even he who cannot keep himself alive.

Today I did  a little word study of the word "worship."  I was surprised to find that the word "worship" is defined as submission or obeisance. As in the two verses from the Book of Psalms (above), worship is submitting ourselves to God with a bended knee. The Bible often speaks of singing and praising God, but when the Bible says to worship God, it does not necessarily mean to sing--it means to fall before God prostrate. The Hebrew word for worship is "shachah" which means to depress or prostrate in homage or loyalty to God, bow down, fall down flat. 


This is my lesson for this day:  When the Lord is speaking to me from His word or from the preaching, I need to submit to God by bowing my knee either alone by my bed or wherever I am, or even at the altar in my church. 


A couple of years ago, I was in New York City. Many Muslims unrolled their little rugs, faced toward Mecca, and began to pray to their god. They were not ashamed, embarrassed,  or intimidated. What a shame it would be for me to never give the true God the same reverence that Muslims so unashamedly give to their god. My God deserves my worship!



No comments:

Post a Comment