Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Algebra? Are You Serious?

One of the greatest things about graduating from high school was knowing that I would never, and I mean NEVER have to revisit math class! YUCK! I liked my teachers. I liked my school, but when it came to math--good riddance. Fast forward 28 years to November 10, 2010 (that's today). We finally got our algebra book for William my 15-year-old son. He opened up to the review section and stated, "I don't remember how to do this." WHAT? Fortunately we have our trusty laptop, so I had him look up the terms that the book assumed he would know, and we went from there.
My husband who is new to the pastorate, has spent hours today studying for a sermon. He also is experiencing a change of academic scenery. The Bible says, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." I'm so thankful for a husband that spends hours upon hours to give our church the Word of God as accurately as possible.
I'm a big believer in educating one's self. I don't ever want to be done learning. I want to stretch and strengthen the muscles of learning. Being in the ministry with my husband allows us to meet all kinds of people, and I hope by reading and studying that I will be able to connect with those who need Christ and want to know more about Him. I'm not sure how algebra fits into that equation, but you never know!

1 comment:

  1. If the kids need a math tutor let me know! Unfortunately, I have to use Algebra every day! Lynette just has the boys come to me, because Algebra drives her crazy! I just had 3 of our church teenagers ask for help in Physics…now there is a class I never thought I would see again! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete