Friday, November 12, 2010

Books Your Children Read






"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:8

I bought a supplemental U.S. history booklet the other day at a great price. I thumbed through the booklet before purchasing it and decided that it focused on some topics in way that would be perfect for my 12-year-old Keith. I sat down with him and had him read out loud to me the section on forms of government. Of course it covered the usual: democracy, oligarchy, dictatorship, etc. There was another form of government included that took me by surprise since I had never seen it listed in any major textbooks: chieftainship. The book stated that millions of years ago pre-historic man live in packs in which one man would become the lead "tough guy." I stopped Keith and said, "Do you know what this is talking about?"
He looked at me and said without question, "Evolution."
Bingo!! When our kids were little, Daryl and I taught them to listen for and be aware of the buzz phrase "millions of years ago" which is the favorite phrase of evolutionists. We also taught them that when they hear that phrase, they are being told a lie.
We live in a culture that loves to indoctrinate children with lies which are called theories which are passed off as facts. As a Christian parent with older children I know that I need to be ever vigilant of what my children read. I have adopted two rules that have helped me determine what my kids read:

1. I get suggestions of good books from reliable friends and family.
2. If I am not familiar with a book, but my kids are interested in reading it, I read the book myself before allowing them to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment