Monday, March 21, 2011

Taco Night




The price of ground beef in these parts of California is absolutely ridiculous! Before we left Indiana, we ate tacos once a week; I haven't made tacos one time in 7 months due to the $3 per lb. price tag. I finally came across frozen bags of hamburger patties at the local Food 4 Less, and the price was much more reasonable, so tonight I made TACOS!!!!

My husband and I thought that when we moved here, we would find great Mexican Restaurants on every corner, but I am so sad to say that that is not the case around here. We have been disappointed by wet chicken, scorched refried beans, and tasteless salsa more times than you can count. It's pretty bad when Taco Bell has the best tacos in town! Nothing against Taco Bell--in my book they have good fast food fare, but you know what I mean.

I don't have a secret taco recipe--I just use the cheapest store brand taco seasoning in the meat, tomatoes, lettuce, shredded colby-jack cheese, and flour tortillas. I think the only thing I might do that would be different is I lay the tortillas on a hot griddle until they get a little crisp. I got that idea from this little hole-in-the wall restaurant in Calumet City, Illinois.

I also made really hot salsa tonight. It was like Chipotles' hot salsa but even hotter! lol Everybody's lips were burning!

It has taken us 7 months to learn this lesson--eat tacos at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment