Monday, April 16, 2012

The Cornbread Story



   
Sometimes life just offers moments of comic relief.

I made some cornbread two days ago.
As I made lunch today, I decided to heat up the leftover cornbread and serve it with the meal hoping that it would all be eaten--it wasn't. 
We opened the windows during lunch, and we were all commenting on the many birds in the courtyard and how beautiful their chirping sounds were.  We had all noticed how a couple of the neighbors had put bird feeders out, and there were many more birds in the courtyard than there previously had been.
Since I had some leftover cornbread, I thought the birds might like some,
so I put a small square on the sidewalk outside of our apartment.
A few minutes later I looked to see if the birds were eating the cornbread.
It was all gone.
Wow! I was really surprised they had eaten it that fast because I wasn't really sure if birds liked the sweet, yellow Jiffy Mix cornbread like I do.
I put another square on the sidewalk,
stepped back into the apartment,
pulled the blinds back,
and then I heard footsteps.
I didn't want anyone to see me looking out the window,
so I put the blinds quietly back into place,
and then a man walked up to where the cornbread lay on the sidewalk right outside my open window, 
and said to himself, "Hmmm. Another piece of cornbread. I wonder where it's coming from?"
He softly kicked the cornbread off the sidewalk into the dirt.
The whole situation just tickled me,
so I went to tell my husband,
and while I was telling him,
William walked in and heard me, then he said,
"That's so weird, mom! Just a few minutes ago when I was outside,
I saw a man coming out of the courtyard eating a piece of cornbread!"

I don't know, I just think it's funny.






No comments:

Post a Comment