Monday, August 6, 2012

The Blessing of Psalm 27: Part 2

                                                                    
I often find myself reading the same passage of scripture over and over again when I am going through a trial. There are times when some parts of the Bible seem to not be able get off the page, through my eyes, and into my heart, but other parts of the Bible just reach into the depths of my soul and speak to me with each and every reading. One of the passages that has really helped me immensely is Psalm 27. I am going to make this a series, and as of yet, I don't know how many parts there will be, but I do hope it will be as much of an encouragement to you as it is to me!

 Psalm 27:2-4   When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.  For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

Have you ever had a dream that you were being chased?  I have! Sometimes the nightmares of someone chasing me are so real that I practically wake up the household with my yelling in my sleep. It's kind of embarrassing, but at least in my nightmares, I am never caught! Verses 2 and 3 of chapter 27 speak of a great fear--being caught and tortured by an enemy or being outnumbered by an enemy.  Either one of those is a pretty dire situation.

All of us have been in situations in which we feel that we will be overcome, BUT we never have to be overcome if we are on God's side!  No matter how desperate a situation may seem, no matter how discouraged we feel, there is no situation that is too dire for God to handle.  The problem is that we often try to handle spiritually difficult situations on our own.  When we neglect to turn to God's Word for the answers, we will be overcome by the enemy, but when we pick up our Sword and use God's truths, what will happen?

Ahhhh! Verses 4 and 5 are such blessings! If my greatest desire during times of turmoil is to seek after God, He will allow me safe dwelling in His house. In the Near East, when a visitor came into the dwelling of a host, the host became responsible for the provision and protection of the one who dwelt within his tent. God longs to  protect us and hide us when times get rough, but He will not force us to come into his pavilion of protection--God always, always, always allows us to make the choice to trust Him or do it our own way.

In the back of my Bible, I have "Key Bible Promises."  During times of testing, I turn to the promises of God and claim them as my own.

How about this verse that addresses fear:

 1Chr 28:20   Be strong and of good courage and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the Lord God, even my God, will be with you; he will not fail you, nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.

How about when we feel we have no hope?
 Ps 43:5 Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God: for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

How about when we don't have peace?
 Ps 119:165 Great peace have they which love Your law: and nothing shall offend them.

Those verses are just samples of God's promises that we can rest in. Isn't it wonderful to know that when we are in the fire of trials and testings, we can turn to God's Word and find comfort, safety, and peace?  God is beckoning us to "come on in"--the choice is up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment