Friday, September 21, 2012

Get a Dumpster!


Boxes Columbus OHWe just moved a couple of weeks ago for the second time in a matter of 3 1/2 months. You know, moving really forces a person to figure out what is clutter and what is really important. Several times this year, I have asked myself, "Do I really want to box this up and move it--AGAIN?" Even though we aren't packrats by any stretch of the imagination, we still have lots of stuff. Did you know that 1 out of 10 Americans now uses a storage unit? I can't remember storage units even existing when I was growing up. I am determined that stuff will not become so important to me that I will have to have a storage unit!

So many women who work outside the home often complain about not being organized enough. Don't you think that if we got rid of some of our stuff and junk, we would have less things and we would feel less cluttered? I don't know about you, but clutter makes me feel stressed. I don't like to look for things. I like to know that things have their places, and when I need something, I want to be able to find it! There is so much stuff we don't need. Why not just get rid of stuff?

While we were moving this past time, I got rid of some things that I have held onto for a loooong time. These were things that were worthless to others but sentimental to me. They were paper things--cards, letters, and notes. Some were from my wedding and were from people I couldn't even remember. I felt kind of bad about getting rid of a lot of that paper, but I realized that I don't ever even look at those things unless I am moving! I have wonderful memories of my wedding, birthdays, and other events without having to hang onto every card that comes my way.

When I look at people who have really clean homes like my mom and my mother-in-law, I don't see that they are sentimental packrats. They have a few items that are nostalgic reminders of the past, but those items are not burdens. Both of these clean, classy women have homes that are beautiful, friendly havens for themselves and any visitor who enters the doors. Neither of them have boxes and boxes of memories; they both live for today--in a good way.

So if you are one of those who suffers from the effects of too much clutter, don't be afraid to jump right in there and start throwing stuff away. In fact, you might find it so freeing that you may find that your garbage can is too small--and if it is, get a dumpster!

No comments:

Post a Comment