Thursday, May 26, 2011

I had the privilege this past week of proofreading a wonderful manuscript about mothers being involved in their children's upbringing. The book was written by Mrs. Valerie Crane, a pastor's wife in Mississippi.One thing that I love about proofreading is that it allows me to read a book almost before anyone else gets a chance to--except of course the author and few others who are helping with the book. I love to see what the author has to say that is totally unique and challenging.  I have only proofread books from Christian authors, so fortunately everything I read from them is totally edifying to me personally.
I taught writing courses for 9 years, so it felt good to break out the Gregg Reference Manual and exercise my proofreading skills once again! I corrected hundreds and hundreds of papers and term papers throughout the years and strongly encouraged any of my students who had an urge to write, to write!  If a Christian has the penchant to write--he should definitely write whether or not his grammar and/or punctuation skills are first rate (that's what an editor and proofreaders are for).  I find that going into the typical, secular bookstore and walking to the children's section, particularly the "tween" section, is more than a little discouraging! The Harry Potter and Harry Potter knock-offs with all of their colorful, artistic renderings on the covers are displayed so as to catch the eye of any passerby, including those whom they were intended for, pre-teens and teens. As a Christian parent who is intent on making sure my children have a strong Christian foundation, I have wanted my children  to have a steady diet of reading books written by authors that can be trusted; I don't want them tangling with witchcraft.  Philippians 4:8 says, Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. What great advice this is when it even comes to our own personal reading and our children's reading!
I kind of got off on a rabbit trail, but "anywho"... If you are a creative-minded
Christian who has great ideas for Christian books, I would like to urge you to write!! You are needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment