Thursday, March 29, 2012

"I Can't Wait!"- Part 2

I thought that when I posted the first part of "I Can't Wait," that it would just be a one-part post, but I had some unexpected responses from a few people who felt helped by my little Bible study. Well, I have more in my handwritten notes in my notebook, so I thought I may as well include these notes as well. If my Bible study and thoughts just help me, I'm a happy girl, but if they can help someone else, well--that's just the frosting on the cupcake! So here is more of "I Can't Wait!":

According to Psalm 69, David was waiting for God to deliver him. David's description of how he felt was very explicit:

  •  He felt as if his soul was going to drown.  Have you ever felt overcome by circumstances?
  • "I sink in deep mire where there is no standing."  David felt like he was in quicksand and that his footing was lost.  Do you feel like your spiritual footing is unsure or maybe even totally lost?
  • "I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me."  Notice the plural word "floods." Are you being overcome by not just one trial, but many trials (floods) at once? 
  • "I am weary of my crying:  my throat is dried:  mine eyes fail while I wait for my God."  Do you exhibit physical symptoms of the stress of waiting on God?  Are you weary of crying?  Do you get a dry throat and mouth which are physical symptoms of stress?  Do your eyes ever ache and even appear tired and weary? 

I. Psalm 25:3  Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed:  let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

    When God doesn't immediately come to our rescue, we can begin to feel a sense of shame. Feelings and questions such as the following can begin to plague our minds:


  • If God thinks I'm really useful, then why isn't He using me NOW?
  • I don't feel useful.
  • Maybe God is punishing me for my past.
  • Maybe God is punishing me for not handling every situation properly.
  • Why doesn't God intervene and end this?
  • Why does everyone else have a place and a purpose?
  • Maybe I'm not doing enough to please God.
  • Is God even hearing my prayers?
  • Why isn't God answering my prayers?

If you have ever waited on God, then you have probably thought some of these very same things. That's why I love Psalm 25:3 because God tells us NOT to be ashamed! We may never know all the answers, but God can certainly use the lessons we learn during this time to prepare our hearts for the future.  Nothing we go through is for naught.  God has a way of chiseling our hearts and molding our lives into something that can be even better used by him.

II. Psalm 25:5- Lead me in truth and teach me:  for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

We can make the time of waiting purposeful.  We live in an area of terrible unemployment. There are four of us who are of working age.  We have filled out many, many, many job applications, yet we have not had one call back.  Not only are we having to rely on God for our needs, we are having to fill our days with purpose. We homeschool, so it is not hard to keep busy in that way, but our minds and our bodies need to keep busy and have a purpose.

  • Use the time to search out truth: 
                                  Get good counsel
                                  Ask your counselor(s), "What do you think God is trying to teach me?"
                                  Ask yourself, "What do I think God is trying to teach me?"
                                  Pray
                                  Study God's Word

  • Use the time to learn: 
                                   Listen to lots of preaching
                                   Spend extra time studying the Bible
                                   Ask yourself, "What issues has this waiting time unsurfaced that I need to
                                           deal with?  Make a study of the issue.
                                   Read books that you haven't had time to read--especially books that would
                                           be spiritually edifying.
  • Don't lose your sense of humor  
  • Count your blessings--literally
  •  Sing to yourself in "psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs."  I love songs like "God Will Take Care of You."
  • Read stories of Christians who have overcome difficult circumstances

III. Psalm 37:7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him:  fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way.  Because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

  • Don't worry about what others are doing during your waiting period.  It may seem like everyone- even the wicked- are busy prospering.
 How are we to behave and react while waiting?

  • Rest in the Lord
  • Be patient--I know, easier said than done!
  • Fret not--don't worry.  God has it all under control.

My prayer:  Dear Lord, I really do know that you have my situation under complete control.  My life is in your hands. You have always taken care of me in every way, and I know you will continue to do so.  Help me to rest in You, and although it is hard, help me to be patient!
                                  
                      

    1 comment:

    1. This is so true and very helpful! Thanks Mrs. Whitehouse! =)

      ReplyDelete